The organisers of the Rossendale 60’s Festival were elated when they were told that they were shortlisted in the final of the ‘Music Festival Of The Year’ in this years Northern Soul Awards, and thought they didn’t win the category, reaching the final has increased the determination of organisers Barry Hyde and Pete Sweetmore to make this years Festival bigger and better.
Last years Festival had 12 events hosted by 8 venues over the weekend. So far, thanks to the ideas and enthusiasm that has come from the Rossendale community we have managed to double the events to 24 and now have included a further 9 venues. Here is just a flavour of what we are offering this year:
Friday 8th September
- Radio Lancashire’s John Gillmore will be broadcasting his show from The Whitaker Museum
- The Whitaker Museum and Art Gallery in Rawtenstall will be staging the Festival launch event,
- Artisan in Rawtenstall will be staging a fab 60’s music vibe
- Crawshawbooth Village Centre will be offering a typical 60’s meal organised by the Association
- The East Lancashire Railway will be keep the 60’s theme at their station in Rawtenstall and combining their Real Ale Trail with the Festival
- Haslingden Community Link will host a 60s themed Murder Mystery and Meal
Saturday 9th September
- The Popular 60’s themed Shop Window dressing Competition entries will be on display over the weekend
- The Whitaker will be staging their now famous ‘Whitstock’ music and culture event
- There will be a display of Vintage Minis at The Whitaker
- The Crown Inn Bacup will be staging an event over the weekend with live music and DJ.
- The New Hare & Hounds in Stacksteads is planning a 60’s Fancy Dress and karaoke event with prizes
- Bacup Market is planning to get in the groove for the 60’s Festival
- TESCO in Rawtenstall/Haslingden and ASDA in Rawtenstall will be supporting the Festival with 60’s activities
- The East Lancashire Railway are keeping the 60’s theme going at their station in Rawtenstall with the 60’s themed Real Ale Trail
Sunday 10th September
- Bacup Cricket Club will again be holding ‘Scoot Rossendale’ starting with a ‘Ride In’ from Rawtenstall to Bacup, ‘Best Scooter’ competitions with Trophies and Music from The Inciders + DJ
- The Boo Theatre in Waterfoot will be repeating their very popular Baby Boogie experience and a musical event based on 60’s protest songs
- Crawshawbooth Village Centre is planning a 60’s themed family fun day
- St Mary’s Chambers is excited to announce that they are staging a Northern Soul music event featuring renound DJ Keiron ‘Woody’ Woodward
- A Rossendale 60’s Anything Goes Clog Market will be held at The Whitaker Museum and will be inviting stallholders to attend with an ‘anything goes’ theme
- A collection of Vintage Minis will be displayed on the forecourt at J A Taylors adjacent to Rawtenstall Station
- New Kirk Fair will be held in Newchurch Village with a special 60’s project looking back at the history of Newchurch and looking at how it changed in the 60’s.
- Rawtenstall Conservative Club is to have a 60’s extravaganza.
- The Rose n Bowl in Stacksteads will be getting in the 60’s groove
- The Popular 60’s themed Shop Window dressing Competition will continue to be on display with the winners being announced
There’s still time to include your own event, so if you would like advice or discuss an event please contact Barry at email@example.com or Pete at firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep updated through our blog at http://www.rossendale60sfest.wordpress.com